When I started writing this post it was Tuesday, hence the Taco Tuesday frame of mind! But it is now Wednesday. Don’t judge. In my opinion we should treat every day like its taco Tuesday though! That is the old San Antonio(n) coming out of me. In San Antonio, TX tacos are the norm. All day. Everyday. Well we don’t live in San Antonio anymore but tacos or taco inspired things are always still a good choice in my book.
As many of y’all know I ventured out on a 3 month journey of no dairy, no sugar, and no bread/wheat based pastas, etc. So taco Tuesday had to look a little different for us this month! And no, we don’t really eat tacos every Tuesday. It’s a fun idea though. This recipe incorporates a sweet potato as your “tortilla” and you stuff it TO THE BRIM with allllll the taco goodness. We are talking flavorful ground taco meat, onion, avocado, tomatoes, cilantro, and even black beans if you would like. It is a hearty and filling meal. To keep it whole 30 compliant say no to the black beans. To keep it vegan say no to the meat (duh) and simmer/season your black beans as if it was the ground beef. Here we go!
2-3 large sweet potatoes
1 lb ground beef
1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
2 cloves of garlic minced
½ tsp salt
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp chili powder
Small red onion
1 can black beans- optional
1. Preheat oven to 425º. On a baking sheet, prick sweet potatoes all over with a fork and then wrap in foil.
2. Bake until tender, test by poking with a fork, 40-45 minutes.
3. While your sweet potatoes are cooking brown the ground beef and add in tomato sauce and all of the seasonings. Stir it well and allow it to simmer for at least 10 minutes to absorb all of the flavors.
4. Chop up your onion, tomato, avocado, and cilantro.
5. Once your potatoes are done let them cool for a few minutes, then split the tops open with a knife.
6. Add in a hearty scoop of taco meat and top with all desired toppings. If you would like, add on black beans for extra flavor and protein and lastly squeeze a little lime juice over the top for an extra flair.
7. Dig in! You won’t even miss the cheese, I promise!