You know those days where you really don’t want to put more than one ounce of energy into figuring out something deliciously healthy to eat? Yeah, I know those days. This recipe is a go to for those days. I recommend making everything homemade because when you make it yourself you know exactly what is in it, the quality of it, and you can give yourself a big ole pat on the back because you’re awesome. BUT this is the kind of recipe where if it ain’t gonna happen, if you don’t have time or energy to be a goddess of all things homemade, you can buy frozen hash browns and pre-made guacamole.
There are only 3 components to this: make some hash browns, make some eggs (anyway you like) OR tofu scramble if vegan, and make some guacamole to top it all off with. If that isn’t simple, I don’t know what is! This recipe is filling and full of healthy fats. It is one that will taste like comfort food, but give you all the energy to do all the things! Oh, and you can eat it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It is that versatile.
Could you just picture this on your brunch table with mimosas, a little spread of fruit, and some of your favorite people sitting around laughing with you? Make it happen.
2 large sweet potatoes
Olive oil/coconut oil/ or butter for cooking sweet potatoes
4 eggs (scrambled, fried, or poached- one per person)
Season hash browns and eggs with salt, pepper, and garlic powder
1 vine ripe tomato diced
¼ small red onion chopped small
2 tbs chopped cilantro
Salt, pepper, and garlic powder to season
1/8 tsp cumin
Juice of one small lime
1) If making your own hash browns, peel your potatoes and use your food processor with shredding attachment, if you really want to get down and dirty you can make your own hash browns by grating your sweet potato with a cheese grater and bonus- you get a great arm workout!
2) In a nonstick skillet add your oil or butter to thinly coat the bottom. Add your sweet potato shreds in on medium high heat. Continually stir, add in more oil or butter if needed to help with the sticking, and add in your salt, pepper, and garlic. It takes about 10-15 minutes to cook. You will know they are done when they look like hash browns and are soft.
3) While hash browns are cooking make your guacamole. First mash up your avocados, then add in the rest of your ingredients mixing well unless you like it chunky. Set to the side.
4) While hash browns are cooking, cook up your eggs whichever way you would like. One per person. Season with salt and pepper.
5) Once everything is cooked it is time to assemble. Scoop some hash browns onto a plate; next add your egg, and then top with guacamole. Add salsa if you’d like for a flavor boost!
*Cook hash browns according to package if opting to use frozen hash browns.