It’s daylight savings time, that funky day of the year that messes up schedules and throws everyone off. Days like this call for easy dinners and I’ve got just the thing for you. Think flavorful out the wazoo, healthy, crunchy, satisfying and QUICK- and you’ve got Mediterranean Tostadas!
A tostada is basically a toasted or cooked (whether baked or fried) tortilla. I buy mine premade and I am sure you can find them in your local grocery store in the tortilla section. I like to load these tostadas up with hummus and veggies and to really up the flavor game I add tzatziki sauce and feta- two Mediterranean all stars.
This recipe involves some chopping, a little bit of roasting, mixing, and piling a mountain of tastiness onto a crunchy tostada. It shouldn’t take you long and if you are really in a hurry buy some premade hummus and tzatziki sauce at the store (typically you can find this in the deli area) and a jar of roasted red bell peppers and this will be on your plate and in your belly in no time.
This recipe is vegetarian and could easily be vegan if you omit the tzatziki and feta.
Makes 12 tostadas
2 red bell peppers (to be roasted)
1 small red onion
1 handful of chopped parsley
1 can of olives
5 minute hummus or store bought hummus
1. If you are roasting your red bell peppers at home do this first! I use good ole Ina garten’s tips and tricks.
2. If you are making your hummus and tzatziki, go ahead and do that now.
3. While the red bell peppers are roasting chop up all of your veggies into small pieces.
4. Once the bell peppers are done roasting, chop then drizzle with a little olive oil, and add a dash of salt and pepper.
5. Time to assemble your tostadas! Take a tostada and smear a hearty scoop of hummus on it, add any and all chopped veggies, drizzle on the tzatziki sauce, add feta cheese, and a sprinkle of chopped parsley.
6. Get down to flavor town and enjoy!