VEGETABLE FRITTERS WITH AVOCADO LIME DIP
We are not a sandwich kind of family so lunch time means we have to get a little creative. I have a handful of things I make for lunch for us and I cycle through them week by week. When I am thinking of what I want in lunch I want something easy to eat, not too time consuming, full of veggies and nutrients, of course tasty, and filling- in comes veggie fritters with avocado lime dip! When I got this recipe down how I wanted it I added it to our lunch time rotation ASAP! I saw a recipe once for veggie fritters and it was a big thumbs down but I was not ready to give up on this idea so I spent some time and revamped it. All you have to do is a little choppin’, a little mixin’, a little grindin’, and a little sizzlin’ and voila, a delicious lunch that might even last you a few days depending on how many mouths you’re feeding and/or if you just can’t stop popping them into your mouth.
This recipe calls for chickpea flour and let me tell you a little story- I once was making a recipe that required chickpea flour and I looked all around my local grocery store and to no avail I could not find any. I thought to myself “chickpea flour, huh, is it really just chick peas?” So I whipped out my phone and googled this and learned right then and there I could very easily make my own. If you decide to make this recipe you could of course use pre-made chickpea flour but I will post instructions below on how to make it at home.
OK! First, let’s tackle the chickpea flour. If you aren’t about that life then go get you some chickpea flour (Bob’s Red Mill Garbanzo Bean Flour – 16 oz.) and skip ahead.
Ingredient– 1 cup dry chickpeas. That’s it!
You’ll also need a coffee grinder or a great food processor and a sifter.
All you do is put your chickpeas in the coffee grinder (1/2 C at a time) and go to town with it. Let those little guys get ground down to a fine powder. If you do this with a food processor it will take you a bit longer but don’t give up! After you’ve got a fine looking powder add it to a sifter to get out all the bigger chunks and sift into a bowl. While the recipe only calls for ¾ C of chickpea flour I say use 1 C to make the flour because not all of it will be useable due to the few stubborn chunks.
Ok, moving on to the main event, what we’ve all been waiting for! The veggie fritters!
Time: 30 minutes
Yields 12 fritters
¾ C chickpea flour
¼ C all-purpose flour
1 large carrot shredded
½ small red onion
½ red bell pepper
1 C chopped spinach
½ C corn
½ C plain almond milk
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 tbs nutritional yeast (what the heck is this?) Buy here (NOW Nutritional Yeast Flakes,10-Ounce)
½ tsp cumin
¼ tsp paprika
¼ tsp chili powder
A pinch of salt and pepper
Olive oil to coat your pan
• Chop all of your veggies into small pieces (if you’re eating these as an adult, you do you, make them whatever size you want BUT if you are planning to feed these to a small child, like I did, then make them little pieces ) and set them aside
• Next, add all ingredients (not olive oil which is specifically for cooking in the pan) to a bowl and mix evenly!
• Add olive oil to generously coat the bottom of a stove top pan (no more than ¼ of an inch needed) and turn it up to medium high heat. It should only take 2 minutes or less for your oil to be ready.
• Spoon out your veggie fritter batter into the heated pan in small/medium size dollops and then pat it down with your spoon a little. Turn heat down to medium while you cook all the fritters.
• Let fritters cook 2-4 minutes on each side or until each side looks golden and slightly browned.
• Using a spatula take the fritters out of pan and add to a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
• Let cool for at least 5 minutes and enjoy! These little guys can last up to a week in an airtight container in your fridge. Just pull out and heat up the next time you want to eat them.
Avocado Lime Dip
• 1 avocado
• 1 clove garlic minced
• 1 tbs water
• Juice of 1 small lime
• 2 tbs olive oil
• 2 tbs chopped cilantro
• ¼ tbs cumin
• Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions- add all ingredients to a magic bullet or blender and mix until smooth and creamy.
Use this dip to take these fritters along with many other dip-able foods to the next level.